“Leadership in a Changing World: Higher education, sustainability and the new Global Action Programme on ESD”
Friday 10 – Saturday 11 January 2014
University of Gloucestershire, Cheltenham Spa, UK
The Rio+20 outcome document, ‘The Future We Want’, acknowledged the critical role of higher education in the attainment of sustainable development. This international conference takes place in the year when the UN Decade on Education for Sustainable Development (DESD, 2005 - 2014) comes to an end and the Global Action Programme on Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) begins to take shape.
The Conference has a focus on global platforms, institutional development and student leadership for sustainable development in higher education. It asks questions such as:
- What have been the major changes and shifts in higher education towards sustainability over the last ten years?
- What does the future hold for universities and colleges engaged with this agenda?
- What role will the new Global Action Programme on ESD play in advancing change for sustainability in higher education?
- How do we extend the circle of the committed and build partnerships for change?
- How do you understand transformation for sustainable development in higher education?
KEYNOTE SPEAKERS: Dr. Alexander Leicht (UNESCO ESD, France); Mahesh Pradhan (UNEP – GUPES, Kenya); Dr. Geoff Scott (Co-Chair of the Sustainable Futures Leadership Academy, Australia); Prof Javier Benayas (ARIUSA and CRUE-CADEP, Spain); Dr Lorna Down (University of West Indies, Jamaica); Jamie Agombar (NUS, UK); Felix Spira (RootAbility, Germany); Dr. Zoe Robinson (Keele University, UK); Prof Clemens Mader (Copernicus Alliance, Germany); and, Prof Daniella Tilbury (UNESCO M&E Group for the DESD and Copernicus Alliance, UK).
The conference will bring together members of CA and signatories of the Rio+20 Treaty on Higher Education. It welcomes participants interested in the future of higher education for sustainability.
The reflections and proposals arising from the conference will be presented to the organisers of the World Conference on ESD to be held in November 2014 in Nagoya, Japan.